|Syllabus of UPPSC AE Civil Engineering Paper II|
- Fluid properties and their roles in fluid motion,
- fluid statics including forces acting on plane and curved surfaces,
- Kinematics and Dynamics of Fluid flow: Velocity and acceleration, stream lines, equation of continuity, irrotational and rotational flow, velocity potential and stream functions, flownet, methods of drawing flownet, source and sink, flow separation, free and forced vorties.
- Flow control volume equation, continuity, momentum and energy equations, NavierStrokes equation, Euler’s equation of motion and application to fluid flow problems, pipe flow, plane, curved, stationary and moving vanes sluice gates, weirs, orifice meters and Venturi meters.
- Dimensional Analysis and Similitude: Buckingham’s Pi-theorem, dimensionless parameters, similitude theory, model laws, undistorted and distorted models
- Laminar flow between parallel,
- stationary and moving plates,
- flow through pipes
- Laminar and turbulent boundary layer on a flat plate,
- laminar sub-layer,
- smooth and rough boundaries,
- submerged flow,
- drag and lift and its applications
|Turbulent flow through pipes|
- Characteristics of turbulent flow,
- velocity distribution, pipe friction factor,
- hydraulic grade line and total energy line,
- siphons, expansion and contractions in pipes pipe networks,
- water hammer in pipes and surge tanks
|Open Channel Flow|
- Flow types, uniform and nonuniform flows,
- momentum and energy correction factors,
- Specific energy and specific force, critical depth,
- resistance equations and roughness coefficient, rapidly varied flow,
- flow in transitions, Brink flow,
- Hydraulic jump and its applications, waves and surges,
- gradually varied flow, classification of surface profiles,
- control section, Integration of varied flow equation and their solution
|Hydraulic Machines & Hydropower|
- Centrifugal pumps-Types, characteristics,
- Net Positive Suction-head (NPSH), specific speed,
- Pumps in series and parallel.
- Reciprocating pumps, Air vessels,
- Hydraulic ram, efficiency parameters,
- Rotary and positive displacement pumps,
- diaphragm and jet pumps.
- Hydraulic Turbines: types, classification,
- Choice of turbines, performance parameters, controls, characteristics, specific speed.
- Principles of Hydropower Development: Types, layouts and component works, surge tanks,
- types and choice, Flow duration curves and dependable flow,
- Storage and pondage, Pumped storage plants,
- Special types of hydel plants
- Hydrologic cycle, precipitation, evaporation,
- transpiration, infiltration, overland flow,
- hydrographs, flood frequency analysis,
- flood routing through a reservoir,
- channel flow routing- Muskingam method
|Ground Water flow|
- Specific yield, storage coefficient,
- coefficient of permeability,
- confined and unconfined aquifers,
- radial flow into a well under confined and unconfined conditions,
- Open wells and tube wells.
- Ground and surface water recourses single and multipurpose projects,
- storage capacity of reservoirs,
- reservoir losses, reservoir sedimentation.
- Water requirements of crops consumptive use,
- duty and delta, irrigation methods,
- Irrigation efficiencies.
- Distribution systems for cannal irrigation,
- canal capacity, canal losses,
- alignment of main and distributory canals,
- Design of cannal by kennedy’s and Lacey’s thoeorie,
- Water logging and its prevention
|Diversion head works|
- Compenents, Principles and design of weirs on permeable and impermeable foundations,
- Khosla’s theory, Bligh’s creep theory Storage works.
- Cross drainage works.
- Types of dams, design principles of gravity and earth dams,
- stability analysis. Spillways: Spillway types energy dissipation
- Objectives of river training,
- methods of river training and bank protection
- Principles of Highway alignments,
- classification and geometric design,
- elements and standards for roads.
- Pavement: flexible and rigid pavements Design principles and methodology.
- Construction methods and materials for stabilized soil.
- WBM, Bituminous works and Cement Concrete roads.
- Surface and sub-surface drainage arrangements for roads,
- culvert structures.
- Pavement distresses and strengthening by overlays.
- Traffic surveys and their application in traffic planning,
- Typical design features for channelized, intersection,
- rotary etc., signal designs,
- standard traffic signs and markings
- Permanent way, ballast, sleeper, chair and faslenings,
- points, crossings, different types of turn outs, cross-over,
- setting out of points, Maintenance of track,
- super elevation, creep of rails ruling gradients,
- track resistance tractive effort, curve resistance,
- Station yards and station buildings,
- platform sidings, turn outs,
- Signals and interlocking,
- level crossings
- Layouts, Planning and design.
- Estimation of water demand,
- impurities in water and their significance,
- physical, chemical and bacteriological parameters and their analysis,
- waterborne diseases,
- standards for potable water
|Water collection & treatment|
- Intake structures, principles and design of sedimentation tank,
- coagulation cum flocculation units slow sand filter,
- rapid sand filter and pressure filter,
- theory & practices of chlorination, water softening,
- removal of taste and salinity, Sewerage Systems,
- Domestic and industrial wastes, storm, sewage,
- separate and combined systems,
- flow through sewers, design of sewers
|Waste water characterization|
- Solids, Dissolved oxygen (DO),
- BOD COD, TOC, and Nitrogen,
- Standards for disposal of effluent in normal water course and on to land
|Waste water treatment|
- Principles and design of wastewater Treatment units–,
- Screening, grit chamber,
- sedimentation tank activated sludge process,
- trickling filters, oxidation ditches, oxidation ponds,
- septic tank; Treatment and disposal of sludge;
- recycling of waste water
|Solid waste management|
- Collection and disposal of solid waste in rural and urban areas,
- Principles of solid waste management
- Air and water pollution and their control acts.
- Radioactive waste and their disposal Environmental impact assessment of Thermal power Plants, mines and river valley projects,
- Sustainable development
- Common methods and instruments for distance and angle measurements in Civil Engineering works,
- their use in plane table traverse survey,
- levelling, triangulation, contouring and topographical maps.
- Survey layouts for culverts canal, bridge,
- roads, railway alignment and buildings.
- Basic principles of photogrammetry and remote sensing.
- Introduction to Geographical information system.
- Basic concepts of Engineering geology and its applications in projects such as dams,
- bridges and tunnels